This New Moon in Aquarius today (January 30th) commences the Chinese New Year of the Green Wood Horse, as Venus prepares to turn back into Direct motion after a very emotional Retrograde cycle since the Winter Solstice on December 21st. We can breath a sigh of tension relief as the water bearer heralds this time of increasing clarity and inspiration.
The Aquarian energy nudges us to express our creativity and to support this in others. Each and every one of us is completely unique, carrying both challenges and gifts that are valuable to the overall picture of life on Earth! No matter how individualist we may be, we need each other in order to achieve our goals. Illuminations about what brings us together and raises the collective consciousness are both rising and being poured forth.
This New Moon is a Supermoon, indicating its closeness with the Earth, being in direct alignment with the Sun and Earth. With Mercury in the shadow phase of a forthcoming Retrograde cycle (February 6th to 28th), the new beginnings we are inspired with now are based on those things and relationships that have already been initiated but have perhaps not brought to completion or upgraded to a new level of relating and involvement.
Rest is and will be important for a couple of weeks as is the willingness to look at certain challenging emotional issues with an angle of objectivity and gratitude for how they have caused us to evolve. It can help us to just slow down in order to assimilate the hardships, lessons, as well as blessings that we have experienced in the past few months, or even those that have affected us during a lifetime. With this slowing down we can recognize the greater purpose of these occurrences and reach new understandings about those that have crystalized into a static or chronic situation we now have the choice to consciously release.
Much of the previously perceived nature of reality is crumbling around us at warp speed. How prepared do you feel to drop cherished notions, or in some cases people and possessions? What we must be particularly prepared for in the weeks, months and years to come is the falling away of both certain aspects of human life that we have taken for granted and that we have clung to, holding them as ultimate truth. As Mercury enters Pisces and then turns back to review Aquarian values during the next few weeks, it would behoove us to pay attention to our inner signals as well as outer guideposts that are indicating to us where we stand with the levels and nature of reality that we are currently creating for ourselves.
All of this being said, remember that there is a special star that shines above you, and that…
“You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it however”. -Richard Bach
Twelve Tips to Stay Sane During Mercury Retrograde
There are a lot of good and helpful things about Mercury Retrograde that most of us don’t hear much about, so suddenly when this planet seems to switch directions, he gets a bad rap.
Mercury is in its “detriment” in the sign of Pisces so people may be moodier than usual, sensitive to both words and nuances. This is the perfect time to practice “random acts of kindess and senseless acts of beauty”. Psychically, the inner dials are turned way up. Hurts may run deep but great healing is also possible…we need to be patient & cultivate optimism in the face of obstacles and depression.
During MR, I generally don’t recommend first time dates, first time job interviews, or anything that means a whole lot if someone has high hopes of where it will lead. Here’s the “quick and dirty” about what I do recommend:
12 Mercury Retrograde Tips
- Prepare for it up to a week or two beforehand by getting as much solidified as possible, also buying, rearranging, or doing things that will make this period easier.
- Think of ways to revise or improve plans for projects that have already begun.
- Listen to inner guidance rather than outer clamor and take note of dreams and inspirations.
- Develop flexibility on all levels, being open to changes of pace.
- Be aware of synchronicities and signs that can steer you clear of danger or guide you in the right direction –there are many of them at this time.
- Recycle, repair, or recreate with materials you find or already own.
- Reconnect with an old friend, family member or a neglected part of yourself.
- Reorganize files, closets, drawers, cabinets and other storage units.
- Take note of the patterns and areas where you get stuck or frustrated – this could be time to both recognize and release them, and then to replace them with positive and self-aware choices. Above all, laugh – Mercury is a trickster and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Find the humor in mundane things, and the silver lining in the clouds.
- Realize that everyone and almost everything is going through some sort of challenge as well – this is a Universal phenomenon and we’re all connected in it.
- Travel, dream, and explore with an open mind and sense of adventure – anything is possible!
- Realistically, give yourself at least 3 days after Mercury has done direct to begin anew with important projects or plans.
Beside this it can be helpful to note the sign that Mercury is in at the time of Retrograding, as this along with where it is in your chart will indicate how things are playing out for you and what you can do about it. Right now Mercury is stationing to go Retrograde on Saturday the 23rd in the feminine water sign of Pisces, which is deeply emotional, compassionate, concerned with helping others and clearing karmic debts.
Our artistic, musical, and spiritual aspirations may be heightened at this time and yet we may feel more introverted than usual. Pisces rules the feet, so grounding and connecting to the Earth are important and can relieve much stress. Emotional release techniques and subtle medicines or therapies relative to water may be especially helpful at this time too. There are many flower essences that can be helpful for both long, troubling issues and the acute stresses that come up, with Bach’s Rescue Remedy perhaps being first on the list.
Breath deep, and remember that our thoughts and words are powerful in the programing of our own realities and our bodies made of up to 70% water! Wishing you all a blessed Mercury Retrograde in Pisces cycle.